Fat Biking has come to the Naughton Trails for the Winter of 2016
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 March 2016 02:35
As a trial for the winter of 2016, the WMBC has an agreement with the Walden Cross Country Ski Club to use its groomed ski trails at specific times for group rides. Both clubs are testing this arrangement to see if it is workable. A large component of the trial is to determine how difficult it is to manage to account for the weather and interactions between the trail users. We need to understand how big a factor the weather plays to determine if conditions are suitable for Fat Bike riding. If this year goes well, it could continue next year. While group rides are lots of fun, riders will still like the freedom to ride when it is convenient for them. Getting Fat Bike Group Rides at Naughton is certainly a big step forward and riding as individuals could come if the Group Rides prove workable. If it's any consolation, a lot of mountain bike and ski communities are looking for solutions to share trails between Skiers and Fat Bikers.
What are Fat Bikes?
We only have permissions to ride Fat Bikes on the trails, so leave your mountain bike at home. Fat Bikes have special frames to accommodate tires 3.7” and wider. Tire pressure is also a very low at 5-10 psi, providing a large contact patch on the snow, good traction and preventing the tire from sinking into the trail.
The Weather Factor
Cold weather will create a firm trail and this is key to making fat biking a low impact sport on ski trails. Events will be scheduled in advance, but the final call to go ahead will be made 12 hours before the event. Check the club website for the status of the event.
Fat Bike Group Ride Dates
We only have permission to ride Fat Bikes on the trails while riding in groups. Groups will leave at 6:30 pm for the night rides and on the hour (noon, 1 and 2) on Sundays.
- Night Group Rides - Thursdays Jan 21 to Mar 17 - 6:30 to 8:30 pm (Mar 10th cancelled)
- Sunday Afternoon Group Rides - Feb 7, Feb 28, Mar 6 - noon to 4:30
- Demo Day Feb 28 - 10 am to 2 pm
Where can I Ride?
The trails will be marked to indicate which trails are open and close to Fat Biking.
The ski trails for fat biking include the 1 km loop, upper loop, western loop and eastern loop.
The Ski Club grooms the trails and skiers buy a membership or day pass, so we can’t ride for free. The cost of a trail pass depends on which clubs you are a member of. If you are a member of the WCCFC and WMBC, you can participate in the group rides for free. You’ll have to sign a Code of Conduct when you pick up your pass. Fat Bike trail passes will be sold (CASH ONLY) in the Athletic Training Centre by a WMBC member, not at the main Chalet.
Night Group Ride Fees
- No Bike or Ski Club Membership - $12
- Bike but no Ski Club Membership - $7
- Ski but no Bike Club Membership - $4
- Bike & Ski Club Membership - Free
- If you bought a Day or Night Ski Pass that day, take $10 off the above prices
Sunday Group Ride Fees
- No Bike or Ski Club Membership - $15
- Bike but no Ski Club Membership - $10
- Ski but no Bike Club Membership - $5
- Bike & Ski Club Membership - Free
- If you bought a Ski Pass that day, take $10 off the above prices
6-Pack Trail Passes
6-Packs allow you to pay once and leave your cash at home. The cost depends if you have a bike of ski club membership. The pass is good for up to 3 Sunday & 3 night rides or use it for 6 night rides – you choose. Surrender it to obtain a trail pass and it will get punched each ride.
- No Bike or Ski Club Membership - $70
- Bike but no Ski Club Membership - $45
- Ski but no Bike Club Membership - $23